UH to Elicit Feedback on Proposed Tuition Increase
By Wendy Osher
The University of Hawai‘i will present its proposed tuition schedule during open meetings planned across the state.
The Maui meeting will be on October 7 at 3 p.m. at the UH Maui College, Ka‘a‘ike 105 C and D. The meeting will be broadcast via Skybridge to the Hāna, Moloka‘i and Lahaina Education Centers. The Lāna‘i Education Center will be included in the Oct. 21 HITS session.
The proposed increase at UH Maui College is $60 more per semester; at the flagship UH Manoa campus, the increase would be $132 more per semester in the first year.
UH is proposing the increases to help meet future financial needs at the 10-campus system. The proposed increases, if approved, would go into effect for the Fall of 2012 through the Spring of 2017.
The meetings will explain the rationale for the tuition proposal, what the increases would be used for, and elicit feedback from the public.
The complete list of meeting times and locations are as follows:
- Sept. 16, 1 p.m., Windward Community College, Hale ‘Ākoakoa 105
- Sept. 20, 1 p.m., University of Hawai‘i–West O‘ahu, E105
- Sept. 21, 2:30 p.m., Kapi‘olani Community College, ‘Ōhi‘a 118
- Sept. 22, 2 p.m., Leeward Community College, Student Lounge
- Sept. 23, 2:30 p.m., Honolulu Community College, Bldg. 2-201
- Oct. 10, 3 p.m., University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, Campus Center Ballroom
- Sept. 28, 3:30 p.m., University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Campus Center Dining Hall
- Sept. 29, 2 p.m., Hawai‘i Community College, Manono Cafeteria and polycom connection from the UH Center at West Hawai‘i Administration Conference Room in Kealakekua
Maui and Moloka‘i
- Oct. 7, 3 p.m. University of Hawai‘i Maui College, Ka‘a‘ike 105 c/d via Skybridge to Hāna, Moloka‘i and Lahaina Education Centers. (The Lāna‘i Education Center will be included in the Oct. 21 HITS session.)
- Oct. 12, 3 p.m. Kaua‘i Community College, Campus Center Dining Room Via HITS (Hawai‘i Interactive Television System–Honolulu CC, Kapi‘olani CC, Leeward CC Wai‘anae/Nanakuli Education Center, Windward CC and Maui Research and Technology Center (MRTC) are not available.)
- Oct. 21, 11:30 a.m., UH Mānoa, Kuykendall Hall, Room 201
- Leeward CC – Library Room 108A
- Kaua‘i CC – Learning Resource Center, Room 122
- UH Maui College – Ka‘a‘ike Room 105A
- UH Maui College Moloka‘i Education Center – Room 103
- UH Maui College Lāna‘i Education Center – HITS Room
- UH Maui College Hāna Education Center – Partition Room
- UH Maui College Lahaina Education Center – Room 101
- UH Hilo – Media Services Room 359
- UH Center at West Hawai‘i – Building 4 Room 2
The final recommendation on the proposed tuition increase will be presented to the UH Board of Regents for action at a meeting in mid-fall.
*** Supporting information courtesy UH.