Bank of Hawaii Seeks Lyons Community Award Nominations
By Sonia Isotov
Bank of Hawaii (BOH) is now accepting nominations/applications for the 2012 Mike Lyons Maui Community Award.
Nonprofit organizations on Maui, Lanai and Molokai are invited to apply by April 17. The award provides one or more grants totaling up to $25,000. Nominations may be made by the public or by the 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organizations themselves.
The award was established in honor of the late, retired Senior Vice President and Maui District Manager Michael H. Lyons II, who was a dedicated community leader throughout his 41-year career with the bank.
Award selection will be based on: a) exemplary fulfillment of the organization’s mission; b) the leadership demonstrated by the organization’s executive director and board; and c) the organization’s engagement in one of the following focus areas: community development, education, human services, and arts and culture.
Additional consideration will be given to organizations that also focus on community development through financial education programs.
Nomination forms are available at all Bank of Hawaii branches in Maui County or by calling: (808) 856-2302. Nomination materials should be submitted to: Maui Regional Office, Bank of Hawaii, 2105 Main Street, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793.
In 2011, the $25,000 award was divided among the following nonprofits:
- Community Clinic of Maui, dba Malama I Ke Ola Health Center ($5,000)
- Hale Mahaolu Akahi, Inc. ($10,000)
- Hui Malama Learning Center ($10,000)
In 2010 the award was increased to $20,000, which was divided equally between the following four nonprofit organizations:
- Fun Day Foundation, A Keiki’s Dream
- Hale Makua Health Services
- Maui County SalvationArmy
- Maui Economic Concerns of the Community
Previous recipients include:
- 2009, Haleakala Waldorf School
- 2008, Friends of the Children’s Justice Center of Maui
- 2007, Women Helping Women
- 2006, Maui Adult Day Care Centers (MADCC)
- 2005, Hale Kau Kau
- 2004, Maui County Council – Boy Scouts of America