Maui Business

Maui Second Most-Popular Travel Destination in US

September 5, 2012, 8:08 AM HST
* Updated September 5, 9:30 AM
Listen to this Article
2 minutes
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

Kahului, Maui. Photo courtesy of Hawaii Tourism Authority / Ron Garnett .

By Sonia Isotov

Yesterday, Travel Leaders Group revealed the results from its yearly Fall Travel Trends Survey and Maui is making waves as the second most popular domestic destination for the remainder of the year, behind Las Vegas – bumping ever-popular Orlando to number three.

According to 2012 data for travel between September 1 and the end of the year, Maui jumped three spots this year to rank second behind Las Vegas.

In addition, survey data pinpoints the average amount clients are spending on an airline ticket (per person). When asked “What is the average cost per airline ticket, per person you are booking for clients to Hawaii?” 56.3%of those polled indicated $700-999, while 21.2% indicated less than $700.

When travel agents were asked to compare overall 2012 travel bookings so far to 2011 at this time last year, a majority (52.1%) indicate that their bookings are higher and 28.8% indicate that they are the same as compared to a year ago. That’s a total 80.9% of Travel Leaders Group travel agents indicating year-to-date bookings are the same or better than at this time in 2011.


This survey was conducted by Travel Leaders Group from July 30 – August 23, 2012, and includes responses from 871 US-based travel agency owners, managers and frontline travel agents from the Travel Leaders brand, along with those affiliated with Travel Leaders Group’s Luxury Travel Network, Nexion, Results! Travel, Tzell Travel Group and units.


“What is most encouraging from an industry perspective is that 8 out of every 10 agents polled indicate their business is on par or better than last year at this time,” stated Travel Leaders Group CEO Barry Liben.

Kamaole Beach in Kihei. File Photo by Sonia Isotov.

“That says that our clients have the peace-of-mind to go explore – both close to home and internationally – despite the uncertainty in economic markets domestically and in Europe.”

Travel Leaders Group travel agents from across the US were asked to name the five top domestic and international destinations they’re booking for the remainder of the year. The following information and trends are based on actual booking data.

Rank Domestic   Destinations Percentage 2011   Rank
1 Las Vegas, NV 44.7% 1
2 Maui, HI 37.8% 5
3 Orlando, FL 35.2% 2
4 New York City, NY 29.0% 4
5 Honolulu, HI 26.6% 3
6 San Francisco, CA 15.4% 9
7 Washington, DC 12.9% 6
8 Chicago, IL 12.6% 7
9 Los Angeles, CA 11.9% 8
10 Fort Lauderdale, FL 11.0% 16
 Rank International   Destinations Percentage 2011   Rank
1 CRUISE – Caribbean 44.8% 1
2 Cancun, Mexico 32.6% 2
3 CRUISE – Europe (Mediterranean) 26.4% 5
4 Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya,   Mexico* 24.1% 6/9
5 Rome, Italy 21.1% 4
6 London, England 20.7% 3
7 Punta Cana, Dominican Republic 17.5% 10
8 Montego Bay, Jamaica 15.3% 8
9 Paris, France 14.8% 7
10 CRUISE – Europe (River) 11.3% 12


E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments