Maui News

Maui Meadows Cottage Fire Accidental

November 26, 2012, 9:39 PM HST
* Updated November 27, 9:08 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

File image by Wendy Osher.

By Wendy Osher

A fire at a cottage in the Maui Meadows subdivision on Monday afternoon was ruled accidental.

Maui fire officials say the fire originated in the living room of the rental, and started from smoldering debris within a trash can.

The incident was first reported at 3:40 p.m. on Monday, November 26, 2012, at a 700-square foot wooden structure located at 3500 Kehala Drive.

Firefighters arrived on scene at 3:45 p.m., and had the fire under control by 3:56 p.m., according to Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga.


Total damages included $35,000 to the structure and $10,000 to its contents, authorities said.


A male individual renting the cottage was displaced and was being assisted by the American Red Cross.  No injuries were reported.

Fire units responding to the scene included Engine-14 and Ladder-14 from Wailea, Engine-6 from Kihei, and Rescue-10 and Hazmat-10 from Kahului.

Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information
E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments