Maui Veterans Cemetery, Lana’i Hospital Included in CIP Release
By Wendy Osher
Governor Neil Abercrombie announced the release of more than $46 million for various capital improvement projects across Hawaii.
The funds include more than $5 million for the design and construction for expansion and improvements to the Maui Veterans Cemetery.
On Molokai, $930,000 has been appropriated for the design and construction for the closure of landfills and reproofing of the store and administration buildings.
On Lanai, $700,000 has been earmarked for the installation of a photovoltaic system at the island’s community hospital. The system will be capable of generating 40 Kilowatt hours of power, equivalent to approximately 50% of the daily electric needs for the hospital. Energy savings is expected to offset the cost of installation in seven years.
The funding includes investments required to qualify for federal funding toward state projects.
“Many of these priority projects require matching state funds to access federal dollars, secured before sequestration, to maintain and upgrade our public infrastructure and facilities,” said Gov. Abercrombie in a media statement. “These CIPs will have the added benefit of stimulating Hawaii’s economy and generating local jobs. Priority has been given to projects that can begin quickly,” he said.
A complete list of projects that were identified for allotment of CIP funds include the following:
- $14,000,000 – Public Facilities and Sites, statewide: Design and construction for various repair and alteration projects to existing State Office Buildings; projects may include roofing, other repairs and improvements.
- $3,157,000 – Wastewater Treatment Revolving Funds for Pollution Control, statewide: Transfer of general obligation bond funds to the Water Pollution Control Revolving Fund to match more than $15 million in federal funds to finance wastewater infrastructure construction projects (such as wastewater systems, storm water, and non-point source projects) across the state to attain and maintain compliance with the federal Clean Water Act.
- $2,715,000 – Safe Drinking Water Revolving Fund, statewide: Transfer of general obligation bond funds to the Drinking Water Treatment Revolving Loan Fund to match more than $13 million in federal funds to finance drinking water infrastructure construction projects across the state for public water systems to attain and maintain compliance with the federal Safe Drinking Water Act.
- $1,000,000 – State Parks Energy and Water Efficiency Improvements, statewide: Design and construction of renewable energy sources for state park facilities and replacement of aging energy and water systems with efficient fixtures, systems and facilities.
- $1,000,000 – ADA Public Accessibility at Department of Land and Natural Resources Facilities, statewide: Design and construction to provide public accessibility at several DLNR facilities pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act; projects include the replacement of the accessible lift at Iolani Palace State Monument and an accessible route to the telephone at Heeia Kea Small Boat Harbor on Oahu, as well as an accessible parking area in the Wailoa Small Boat Harbor and an accessible loading area at Rainbow Falls State Park on Hawaii Island.
- $2,343,434 – Lump Sum CIP for Department of Defense Facilities, Infrastructure and Devices, statewide: Various DOD CIP projects, such as renovation of Building 621 in Hilo, and renovation of the State Civil Defense Building 303 and road/parking resurfacing of the “Emergency Operations Center” at Fort Ruger on Oahu.
- $1,250,000 – Energy Savings Improvements and Renewable Energy Projects, statewide: Design and construction for various energy savings and renewable energy improvements at Hawaii Army National Guard facilities; projects include investigating the feasibility and design of wind/solar/photovoltaic systems at the department’s armories, installing new energy efficient air conditioning equipment and digital controls at various facilities, and various other energy projects.
- $450,000 – 29th Infantry Brigade Combat Team Readiness Center, Kalaeloa, Oahu: Design and construction for a Readiness Center at Kalaeloa; this project will provide office space, training rooms, storage, meeting rooms, and other National Guard Bureau required areas. The DOD has completed the initial design work using federal funds; total project cost will be $33.9 million, including $33 million in federal funds and $900,000 in state funds.
- $125,000 – Building 19 restoration, Kalaeloa, Oahu: Equipment and work needed to complete installation of a fire suppression system for Building 19 (Readiness Center) for the Hawaii Army National Guard.
- $50,000 – Minor Military Construction and Renovation at Army Guard Facilities, Oahu: Planning for the renovation of Building 282 at Kalaeloa.
- $1,100,000 – Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital, Kauai: Design and construction to address main water pipes that have deteriorated due to age and corrosion from the salt air and have started to leak; the project will consist of removing and replacing all damaged main water piping with PVC and copper piping.
- $700,000 – Lana’i Community Hospital, Lana’i: Design, construction and equipment to install a photovoltaic system.
- $590,000 – Leahi Hospital, Oahu: Repairs to weathered concrete, replacement of caulking, and repainting of the exterior of the Atherton and administration buildings.
- $110,000 – Leahi Hospital, Oahu: Design and construction for the removal of an incinerator stack; current equipment is no longer in use and has begun to deteriorate.
- $7,000,000 – Kalihi Valley Homes, Oahu: Work to complete Phase IV site and dwelling improvements; the HPHA recently completed the full remodeling of 23 of the 42 residential buildings.
- $1,900,000 – Puahala Homes, Oahu: Work to compete Phase 1B abatement and modernization of Buildings 4, 5 and 6 of the 128-unit complex, including interior renovations of the units.
- $1,800,000 – Ka’ahumanu Homes, Oahu: Construction for complete site improvements, including spall repair, painting for 19 buildings, interior renovations, security fencing, and roadway and sidewalk improvements.
- $600,000 – Hauiki Homes, Oahu: Completion of construction for site work and roof repairs, including sidewalk and stair repairs of the 46-unit public housing project in Kalihi.
- $5,050,000 – Maui Veterans Cemetery, Maui: Pre-design, design and construction for expansion and improvements to the veterans cemetery.
- $930,000 – Kalaupapa Settlement Improvements, Molokai” Design and construction for closure of landfills and reroofing of the store and administration buildings (two separate projects).
- $500,000 – Waianae Small Boat Harbor, Oahu: Design and construction of covered vessel storage facilities, utilities and related improvements.
- $20,000 – Kaneohe Public Library, Oahu: Design and construction for replacement of the existing circulation desk and related improvements; the area will accommodate children and be compliant with ADA accessibility guidelines.