Pa’ia Bay Beachfest Takes Two Days to FinishJanuary 22, 2014, 6:28 AM HST · Updated January 22, 6:30 AM 0 Comments
By Rodney S. Yap
This year’s annual Pa’ia Bay Beachfest drew a record number of participants, forcing the organizers to extend the competition one more day.
Preliminary heats and semifinals were held on Saturday, Jan. 18, with the finalists in all six divisions returning on Sunday, Jan. 19.
“This year’s event had so many contestants, we had to finish the contest with finals on Sunday,” said Olivia Solomon, the Malama Pono Project Venture Program Specialist at PYCC.
The competition is organized by the Pa’ia Youth & Cultural Center alumni, staff and community board-riders.
Some of Maui’s most talented bodyboarders and surfers showed off their skills in 2- to 3-foot surf, while more than 200 onlookers enjoyed two-days of fierce competition.
In the end, Cordon Stapp collected wins in the Junior Division and Open Men. Other event winners were Manu U’u-lindsey in the Menehune Division, Larissa Kaaihui in the Women’s Division, Cody Mailou in Drop Knee and Sam Schuck in Free Surf.
17th Annual Pa’ia Bay Beachfest
Jan. 18-19 Results; At Pa’ia Bay
Hosted by Pa’ia Youth & Cultural Center
Menehune Division (Ages 9-14)
1. Manu U’u-lindsey, 2. Jarod Gifford, 3. Ryder Jalbert, 4. Antonio Mason, 5. Kelson Lau, 6. Isaiah Hueu.
Junior Division (15-17)
1. Cordon Stapp, 2. Noa Aweloa, 3. Keoki Muralt, 4. Sam Mederios, 5. Ginger Prados, 6. Per Gertirrez.
1. Cordon Stapp, 2. Brandon Shine, 3. Gabe Tongson, 4. Sam Medeiros, 5. Zach Zane.
1. Larissa Kaaihui, 2. Ciarra Boggs, 3. Verna Luchuen, 4. Ginger Prados, 5. April Prados, 6. Karlie Thoma.
1. Cody Mailou, 2. Evan Kaaihui, 3. Brandon Shine, 4. Keoki Muralt, 5. Jason S, 6. Gabe Tongson.
1. Sam Schuck, 2. Logan Bedanno, 3. Jackson Bunch, 4. Cody K, 5. Charlie Wai, 6. Kelson Lau.