First Weekend of Maui Open Studios Held Upcountry
By Vanessa Wolf
This Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 8 and 9, marks the first weekend of the annual Maui Open Studios event.
Maui Open Studios is an annual island-wide event consisting of three weekends of self-guided tours of local artist studios and exhibition spaces.
Artists will be on hand to perform live demonstrations and attendees can also anticipate refreshments and opportunities to purchase the art.
The first weekend’s participants represent nearly every genre you can think of, from sculpture and glass blowing to magic realism and whimsical gourd creations.
The 40-odd artists and studios included in this weekend’s do–it-yourself tour include:
- Jim Lynch Plein, impressionist paintings of land and sea, in both oil and pastel mediums.
- Deb Lynch, painter of “realism and imagination.”
- Mauidivegirl Designs, handmade jewelry artist
- Makai Glass Creations, hand blown glass art
- Pahu – Emilia De Castro, mixed mediay
- Jim’s Wood N Glass, Mixed Media Artist
- Kathleen Alexander, Watercolors
- Jennifer Throne, whimsical gourd artist
- d’Avignon designs – woven beadwork with gemstones and pearls
- Mark Berry, photographer
- Stephen Hynson, custom furniture
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD
Lynette Pradiga, mixed media encaustic artist
- Roberta Ann Weisenburg, jeweler
- Carolyn Wuan, photo collage and mixed media artist
- Bonnie Fox, oil and mixed media
- Joanne Hopper, painter
- Jeanne Young, oil painter
- Holly Glenn, mixed media artist
- Mystique, montage artist
- Tom Sawyer, abstract expressionist
- Ana Francesca, painter
- Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center: ceramic open studio
- Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center: printmaking open studio
- Hui No’eau Visual Arts Center: jewelry open studio
- Tom Faught: artist at large
- Tim Garcia: sculptor
- Allen Pufahl, painter and sculptor
- Janet Davis, paintings
- Clay Simpson, wood sculpture and functional art
- Lesta Bertoia, magic realism and portraits in acrylics
- Joy Meyer, abstract expressionist
- Sarah Soward: wildlife artist
- Will Tredo Photography, landscape photography
- Diane Ybarra, oil painter (most often abstract)
- Gail Blate, fabric/fiber/mixed media artist
- Robena, fine artist
- Scott Mead: fine art photography
- Virginia Pierce, abstract expressionist
- Melanie Lieb-Taylor: Figurative abstraction, mixed media paintings and drawings
- Donnette-Gene Wilson, landscape and nature printmaker and photographer
- Douglas Chun: acrylic, watercolor and fusion of calligraphy and imagery
- Randy Hufford Art: landscape photographer
- George Allan, impressionist oil painter
- Sue Perry: impressionist oil
- Dennis Chamberlain: glass art and sculpture
- Kathleen MacDonald, plein air landscape painter
- Kevin Omuro, ceramic artist
- Worcester Glassworks: handblown glass and jewelry
- Eva Roberts, flow painter
- Greg Davidge: fine woodworking and photography
- GlassCraft by Maui Kai, deep carved lighted glass seascapes.
A detailed listing of artists and studio addresses are available online or in the Maui Open Studios Guidebook, which can be procured at Kingwell Island Art Gallery in Lahaina, Wine Corner in Paia, Story of Hawaii Museum in the Queen K Center or Topaz Goldsmith and Gallery in Kihei.
The individual studios will be open from 11 a.m .to 6 p.m. each day. The event is open and free to the public.