King Kekaulike Football to Host Golf TournamentApril 9, 2014, 6:23 AM HST · Updated April 9, 6:26 AM 0 Comments
By Rodney S. Yap
The King Kekaulike High School football team will be hosting its first “Kekaulike Football Golf Tournament” on Saturday, June 7, at the Pukalani Country Club.
“The money for this year’s event will go towards the purchasing of equipment, pre- and post-season travel, and the overall betterment of our program,” said second-year head football coach Kyle Sanches.
“Not this coming season, but the following year — in 2015 — we are looking at going to Japan to play Kwansei High School. We need to raise $40,000 over the next two years.”
Sanches hopes the team can raise a minimum of $15,000 this year.
Kwansei Gakuin is a championship team from Japan, where the Fighters have reigned over a 60-team league.
Last year, the Kwansei Gakuin’s football team visited the island and accompanied the Na Ali’i football players to their classes to experience “American” schooling.
Sanches said the team’s other major fund-raising event comes after the season, around the holidays — called Kekaulike’s Winter Karnival.
Important Tournament Information
* 7 a.m. shotgun start
* Four-person scramble format
* Entry fee $100 per person, includes green fee. cart, lunch, and entry for prizes
* Lunch and awards banquet at King Kekaulike Cafe.
* Closest to the Hole and Hole in One Contest
* Longest drive hole — men and women to compete separately.
* Maximum handicap of 24 for Men and 36 for Women.
* Entry deadline is Friday, May 30.
* Registration forms are available at your nearest golf course.
Individuals or businesses interested in sponsoring the golf tournament or donating prizes can do so by calling 808-633-6141.
For more information on the golf tournament and King Kekaulike football, contact Coach Sanches at 573-8710 or [email protected]