Stargazing Cruise Scheduled During ‘Dark of the Moon’
By Maui Now Staff
If you’re looking for something new to try, the Pacific Whale Foundation offers a monthly stargazing cruise timed to coincide with the best viewing conditions.
This Sunday, June 29 is a new moon or “dark of the moon” when the maximum number of stars and planets are usually visible.
Ergo, it’s cruising time.
This month’s voyage sets sail from Lahaina at 8 p.m. and the special guest narrator is Harriet Witt, an “international award-winning astronomy writer and speaker, known for her entertaining and informative commentary on the stars.”
Promoters note her writing has been featured in publications including Sky & Telescope and Spirit of Aloha.
In addition to boning up on your astronomy knowledge, the cruise includes:
- Unlimited juices and soda
- Up to three alcoholic beverages (locally brewed Maui Brewing Co. beer, red and white wine, Mai Tais and tropical well drinks) for adults 21 and over.
Appetizers and desserts including:
- Platter of Chimichurri-Tossed Char-Grilled Vegetables
- Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper Hummus
- Assorted Tropical Fruit and Artisan Cheese Platter
- Trio of House Made Chips (Molokai Sweet Potato, Corn Tortilla, Russet Potato)
- Curried Chicken Wrap with Garden Vegetables and Haiku Greens
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Coconut Haupia over Chocolate Cookie Crust
The cruise departs from Lahaina Harbor on Sunday, June 29 at 8 p.m. and tickets are $59.95 per person.