Mākena To Host 2nd Annual Oceanside Oktoberfest
By Vanessa Wolf
This Saturday, October 25, Mākena Beach & Golf Resort hosts its second annual oceanside Oktoberfest celebration.
In partnership with Paradise Beverages, the event will feature fall-inspired beers, German pub-influenced food, prize giveaways and live entertainment.
Highlighting the hop harvest season, Mākena’s Oktoberfest features pumpkin flavored brews, darker ales and fresh hop beers brewed by the best German and American brewing companies.
The beers for the event include:
- Warsteiner Premium Verum – “With a clean golden color and medium whitehead, the premium German style pilsner provides notes of floral and citrus for a clean crisp and slightly tart taste. The beer is pleasantly light due to the especially soft spring brewing water.”
- Erdinger Oktoberfest – “From Bavaria is Germany’s foremost wheat brewery, Erdinger serves up an Oktoberfest Weizen. It is a classic wheat beer with a golden orange hue and offering a rich but light finish. Brewed with caramelized barley and wheat malts, expect citrus and some spice.”
- Paulaner Hefe-weizen– “Also from Bavaria is the Paulaner Hefeweizen beer. It is sparklingly mild and fruity with a delicate yeast flavor. Dubbed “Natural Cloudy” the orange-colored brew with uniform cloudiness and a large head, is due its authentic brewing method. It is considered the brewery’s best product.”
- Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale – “From cloudy to clear, the American brewed Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale present a brilliant clarity. It is a deep-amber ale crafted with pumpkin and spices. With notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and all-spice and a small bitterness, the brew is all the taste of fall with a clean malt and smooth finish.”
- Sam Adam’s Oktoberfest – “The evening’s anchor brew is the ever popular Sam Adam’s Oktoberfest, featuring the darker color and rich malt flavors of the original Oktoberfest beers. A flavorful brew made with five roasts of malt with hints of caramel and toffee and a hint of bitterness from Bavarian Nobel Hops.”
Remember to eat something lest you end up face-down in your stein.
Mākena’s Chef De Cuisine Kurt Lesmerises and his culinary team can help you in that regard. They have put together a German pub-inspired menu of dishes. Intended to compliment the dark amber ales and golden wheat brews and served fresh from action stations, items include:
- Pretzels – German soft pretzels with spicy beer mustard
- Cheese Strudel – Westphalian ham and Roquefort blue cheese baked into fresh puff pastry
- Beer & Butternut Squash Soup – smoked bacon and caramelized apple
- Potato Pancake – Crispy Potato Cakes with Sour Cream & Apple Sauce
- Goulash – German style beef goulash with paprika, carrots, onion and potato served over spaetzle
- Bratwurst – sliced and served with caramelized onion, mustard, sauerkraut and pumpernickel
- Chicken Schnitzel – delicately breaded boneless chicken breast with a crisp lemon wedge and sweet and sour red cabbage
- Black Forrest Cake – individual chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream, tart cherries and whipped Bavarian cream
The event starts at 6:30 p.m. and is offered at a cost of $75 per person, plus tax and gratuity.
Seating is limited, and reservations are recommended. Call 808-875-5888 to make yours.