Maui News

Haʻikū Home Fire Sparked by Smoking Ember

December 9, 2014, 11:30 AM HST
* Updated December 10, 6:08 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

By Wendy Osher

A Haʻikū home sustained $1,000 in damage in an early morning fire reported at 20 Kahope Place, officials said.

The fire was reported at 3:51 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014, and was extinguished prior to the arrival of fire crews from the Pāʻia Fire Station, authorities said.

Maui Fire Services Chief Lee Mainaga said the fire was sparked when an ember from someone smoking in bed fell on the mattress and ignited a foam mattress pad.

Mainaga said the fire was contained to the room, and no structural damage was reported.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

Four occupants were evacuated, and no injuries were reported.

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments