December Workshops at Maui Business Resource Center
The County of Maui Mayor’s Office of Economic Development will offer free workshops for the month of December.
Workshops are presented at the Maui County Business Resource Center, a County of Maui facility, located in the Maui Mall across Pizza Hut, in Ste. B-9.
Seating for all workshops is limited, and all workshops are subject to change or cancellation. Workshops are free unless noted otherwise. To reserve a seat, call the Maui County Business Resource Center at 270-5770.
Making Better Decisions for Leaders Using the Six Thinking Hats
Instructor: Marc Levine
Monday, Dec. 7
Scientists say we only use 10% of our brain, which is a detriment when making decisions and finding solutions to challenging problems. The Six Thinking Hats Process allows us to make the most of our brain power and the brains of our teammates. It is amazing, simple and produces fantastic outcomes.
It’s simple because it utilizes ways we commonly think. It’s powerful because it provides a structure to maximize our common ways of thinking. It also removes the blinders we have. When used with teams, it quickly creates a level of cohesion. It eliminates the traps we often fall into that inhibit us. It helps us think clearly when under stress.
Join us to learn this wonderful tool to help you succeed whether you’re an entrepreneur or team leader.
For over 20 years Marc Levine has impacted the bottom line of organizations as a sales director, trainer and coach. His clients range from entrepreneurs, nonprofits and small businesses to Fortune 500 organizations such as Citibank, Sony Pictures and Best Buy. He receives raving reviews as a speaker at international industry conferences. Marc teaches simple, proven and powerful techniques that create results. He does so in a light and humorous way where new ideas are easy to absorb and apply. He integrates his background in improvisational comedy into business to accelerate success.
Business in the Think Tank with MBB Members (Free)
Tuesday, Dec. 8
Maui Business Brainstormers invites you to bring your business challenge to its Brainstorming Segment, or If you want to feature your business (or business concept) in its “Think Tank” segment (that’s 20 minutes just for you), submit a form on the MBB Meetup site, or come along to brainstorm and be showered with ideas. To attend, RSVP online. Non-members need to join MBB before enrolling for the session.
The workshop will include:
· Mingling, introductions
· Get to Know Your Neighbor, an opportunity to interact with new faces and strengthen your own ability to communicate succinctly with others in fast-paced situations
· Featured Business in the Think Tank, a 20-minute segment in which a selected business is featured for focused brainstorming with the group. Owners of startups and small businesses benefit from this activity. You are qualified if you have a business concept fully researched and planned but with questions or obstacles remaining, or if you are a business already in operation with sales, but facing challenges to achieve further growth. The business owner needs to be an MBB member. To be featured in the 20-minute case-study “Think Tank,” fill out and submit the online form describing your business challenge. On the day of the meeting, the candidate chosen presents a five-minute overview of the business, including the current challenges. The audience then brainstorms to address the problem area with the “build it, measure it, learn from it, improve it!” spirit.
· Five-Minute Think Tank: Attendees have the opportunity to present a challenge they are experiencing in their own business for ideas and suggestions from the group. No prior submission is required—just come to the meeting with your ideas and questions, to help others and be helped toward your own success.
Becoming a Best-Selling Author
Leveraging the World’s Greatest Marketing Secret by Writing, Publishing and Promoting Your Book to Better Market Your Business
Instructor: Patrick Snow
Two dates to choose from, both sessions noon–2 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 11, and Monday, Dec. 21
Are you looking for a better way to market your business? Do you have a burning desire to become a best-selling author? Attend this seminar and learn how to make your publishing and business goals come true. If you want to stand out from your competition, strengthen your credentials and get free publicity, then writing and publishing book is your best marketing strategy. Let international best-selling author, Patrick Snow, guide you through the process.
In this two-hour seminar, you will learn your three publishing options, top five requirements for becoming a best-selling author and 18 mistakes to avoid. Most importantly, you will learn how to monetize your passion and even better, market your business, or start a new business using your book as a platform from which you can launch.
Come early, and stay late for his Q&A session that will answer all questions on your book project.
Patrick Snow is an international best-selling author of Creating Your Own Destiny, The Affluent Entrepreneur and Boy Entrepreneur has sold between 250,000 and one million copies of his three books in five languages and 108 countries. He has been featured as a cover story in USA TODAY, The New York Times and Forbes. When he is not traveling the world presenting, he lives in Wailuku. For more information visit www.PatrickSnow.com or www.ThePublishingDoctor.com.
Get the Facts about Farm Loans and Farm Record Keeping
Instructor: Richard “Buddy” Nichols
Tuesday, Dec. 15
USDA Farm Loan Programs have been available for many years and have numerous types of loans available to beginning farmers to seasoned farmers. The importance of good record keeping increases the success of any business, including farming. Whether you apply for a loan or not, you will need to know the productivity of your farm and whether it is improving every year.
Buddy Nichols is a USDA Farm Loan Program Manager on Maui. He previously has a BA in animal science as well as an MBA. He owned/managed a dairy, raised cattle and fruits/vegetables. He understands the aspects of farming from production to financial recordkeeping.
45 Social Media Tools and Tips to Gain Marketing Ground in 2016
Instructor: Nicole “nico” Fisher
noon–1:15 p.m. (Q&A until 1:30 p.m.)
Would you like to gain “Marketing Ground” in 2016? In this workshop presented by Nicole Fisher, you will learn how to reduce the size of your images, analyze your competitor on Twitter using Twitonomy, use ClickToTweet to encourage more tweeting and optimize your blog posts for search engines, plus much more. By using these tips and strategically choosing your tools, you will get more out of your social media marketing in 2016.
Nicole Fisher is an energetic entrepreneur with over 20 years of experience as a Marketing Strategist, Social Media Consultant and Trainer. She is passionate about taking businesses from good to great through various marketing avenues.
Standout Subject Lines: Get Open, Get Read, Get Real Results!
Instructor: Mckenna Hallett
Tuesday, Dec. 22
Are your emails, blogs, or posts being ignored? Are you getting real engagement with your followers and customers? Come explore what will get your subject lines working—or not working. Learn to capture the attention and interest of your audience. This fast-paced seminar will take a deeper dive into the mechanics of truly effective subject lines. It will cover many important and easy to use strategies:
· Three keys that make or break your subject line (or posting headline)
· Learn to use the 2 – 2 – 2 rule to get their immediate attention!
· What works—and what does not work—in capturing your readers’ attention.
· Length, brand, urgency and offers—make them work for your subject lines.
· Before and after examples that make it crystal clear how to improve your results.
· Learn what “teaser” or “pre-header” text is and how to use it to increase sales.
Whether you are trying to realize revenue, increase your reach, or inspire referrals, your subject lines are a key to your success.
Mckenna Hallett is a marketing consultant, motivational speaker, and owner of www.MyGoldenWords.com who blogs regularly to a worldwide audience. With over two decades of experience with her own small business on Maui, she brings practical and easy-to-use advice to all business owners at any stage. She had her first business at the age of seven and has been in sales and marketing roles in both retail and wholesale with both small and large businesses for over 50 years.