Maui News

Dog Dies in Unattended Cooking Fire at Kula Home

January 18, 2016, 9:12 AM HST
* Updated January 18, 9:20 AM
Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00
A
A
A

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

Structure fire, Maui Now graphic.

A family dog died in a house fire reported Sunday evening, Jan. 17, 2016 at a residence on Kulalani Drive in Kula.

Officials say the fire was reported at 7: 59 p.m. at a two-story residential duplex unit.

Upcountry firefighters arrived on scene at 8:11 p.m. to find smoke coming from the first floor of the unit.

“Crews entered the home and quickly knocked down a fire found burning in the kitchen area,” said Maui Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto.

According to FSC Taomoto, the fire was classified as accidental and the cause of the fire was determined to be cooking materials left unattended on the stove.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

The fire was brought under control at 8:16 p.m. and was called extinguished at 8:41 p.m. Damages were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $20,000 to its contents.

ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW AD

FSC Taomoto said the occupants of the unit were not at home when the fire broke out and no one was injured; however, their family dog on the second floor died.

Firefighters from Kula, Makawao, and Kahului responded to the fire.

 

E-Mail Newsletters Receive daily or weekly updates via e-mail. Subscribe Now
News Alerts Breaking news alerts on your mobile device. Get the App

Comments

This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments