Maui Discussion

Ask the Mayor: How Can Flood Victims Get Assistance?

Listen to this Article
1 minute
Loading Audio... Article will play after ad...
Playing in :00

ʻĪao Valley, erosion and flood debris from flash flood. PC: 9.14.16 by Wendy Osher.

ʻĪao Valley, erosion and flood debris from flash flood. PC: 9.14.16 by Wendy Osher.

Mayor Alan Arakawa answers some of the questions submitted to his office staff.

Submit your own questions about County of Maui programs, services, operations or policies to Mayor Alan Arakawa via email at [email protected], call 270-7855 or send them by mail to 200 S. High St., 9th Floor, Wailuku, HI 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column.

Aloha Mayor,


Q: My friends are still recovering from flood damage to their home. Is there any way they can get some assistance besides family and friends? They lost most of their household goods in the flood.

A: Residents who were impacted by the recent flooding should call Civil Defense at ph. 270-7285 as soon as possible to report damage and to let us know what kind of assistance they need. Damage reports may also be filed online at Both Governor Ige and I have issued emergency declarations, and representatives from FEMA will be arriving on-island soon to begin the process of determining whether we may be eligible for federal assistance. In order to demonstrate the need for funding, it’s important that we receive damage reports from those impacted.


Sponsored Content

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Stay in-the-know with daily or weekly
headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Make the most of your Maui vacation with these top-rated activities: Maui Top 20: Maui Visitor & Tourism Information


This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion. View Comments