Status of Health Care Focus of Maui BriefingOctober 13, 2016, 2:29 PM HST · Updated October 17, 2:50 PM 6 Comments
Several senate committees will convene on Maui on Monday for an informational briefing on the status of health care on the island as Maui’s hospitals deal with a one year transition delay of Hawaiʻi Health Systems Maui Region hospitals to Maui Health System, LLC, a Kaiser Permanente affiliated hospital system.
Members of the Senate Committees on Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Health, Judiciary and Labor, and Ways and Means will examine the state of healthcare and hospital services at Maui Memorial Medical Center, Kula Hospital and the Lānaʻi Community Hospital resulting from the delay.
The leadership of HHSC Maui Region and Kaiser Permanente Hawai‘i have been invited to inform the Committees and the community on plans to ensure patient safety and the continued delivery of high quality health care at the medical centers during the prolonged transition, which is not expected to occur until July 1, 2017.
The transfer to a new private entity (Maui Health System, LLC) was authorized by Act 103, Session Laws of Hawaiʻi 2015.
No public testimony will be accepted.
The meeting will run from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Monday, October 17, 2016 at the University of Hawai‘i Maui College, ‘Ike Le‘a Science Auditorium located at 310 W. Kaʻahumanu Avenue in Kahului.
Participants at the briefing will include:
Maui Region Administration:
· Wesley Lo – Regional Chief Executive Officer, Maui Region Board
· Dr. Barry Shitamoto – Incoming Regional Chief Executive Officer, Maui Region Board
· Paul Harper-O’Connor – Kula Hospital and Lānaʻi Community Hospital Administrator
· Dr. Nicole Apoliona – Kula Hospital Medical Director
· Avery Chumbley – Chair, Maui Region Board
· Anthony Takitani – Member, Maui Region Board
Maui Memorial Medical Center Medical Staff:
· Dr. Ronald Boyd – Chief of Staff
· Dr. Michael Shea – Critical Care Unit Physician
Kaiser Permanente Hawai`i:
· Mary Ann Barnes – President, Kaiser Permanente Hawai`i
Hawaiʻi Health Systems Corporation:
· Linda Rosen, M.D. – Chief Executive Officer
Scroll Down to Read 6 Comments