Freedive Hawaiʻi Announces Waterman Surf Survival CourseNovember 16, 2016, 9:33 PM HST · Updated November 16, 9:42 PM 0 Comments
With the exciting run of swells we’ve had lately, it’s clear winter is upon us. Freedive Hawaiʻi is offering a surf survival course designed to help you handle anything the ocean throws at you. The course will consist of three days of advanced apnea-fitness, yoga, and freediving instruction specifically designed to increase personal performance. It starts on Friday, Nov. 18, and finishes on Sunday Nov. 20, 2016.
Day 1: Max Static – Find your limit! The classroom, yoga, and pool portion of the course highlights the essential aspects of proper breathing and preparation for extended periods of time without oxygen. It’s here the foundation is set for success in the practice of breath-holding, freediving and all other apnea related training exercises.
8-11:30 a.m. Classroom/Yoga/Pranayama. 12:30-2 p.m. Static Apnea Pool Training
• Explore the ability to control your breath through pranayama
• Expand your breath-holding capacities through the exploration of different yoga asana – each designed to open areas of the body generally associated with healthy breathing function
• Evolve your ability to endure long static breath-holds through the practice of meditation, visualization, and conscious relaxation.
Day 2: Apnea Fitness Training – Apnea based dry land training is a great way to prepare for extended periods of time underwater and sudden hold-downs. These exercises are designed to simulate the high level of stress individuals undergo during a hold down, but on dry land and in shallow bodies of water. Not only can you take these exercises with you almost anywhere but they help build a high level of endurance, lactic threshold, and increased breath-hold capacity for all aquatic athletes.
8-9:15 a.m. Yoga at Lumeria Maui. 9:30-11:30 a.m. Dynamic Apnea Pool Training at Lumeria Maui. 12:30-2 p.m. Apnea Fitness Training at Baldwin Beach.
• Explore dry land and shallow water training regimens that utilizes dynamic breath-holds and empty lung exercises which simulate stressful situations and prolonged periods of time underwater
• Expand your physical capacity and limits for working under stress while in apnea
• Evolve your level of confidence in underwater situations which are either strenuous or going far from “as planned”
Day 3: Depth Freediving – The sport of Freediving is a fascinating exploration of the body-mind connection and it’s relationship to being submerged far below the surface of water for prolonged periods of time. Freediving is a sport of increasing popularity and it is the backbone of Freedive Hawaiʻi’s apnea based instructional programs. It’s probably the single greatest training tool for increasing comfort, confidence, and breath-hold ability in/under water. At Freedive Hawaiʻi, courses instruct on not only the fundamental aspects of safe freediving but also advanced swimming and equalization techniques for divers looking to achieve new depths. Weather you’re a seasoned freediver looking to make a PB dive, successful spearfisher(wo)man looking to increase dive time, or simply looking to maximize your underwater potential for confidence during other activities, all are welcome.
6-7 a.m. Gentle Yoga and Pranayama at Lumeria Maui.
8 a.m.-12 p.m. Depth Diving Departing From Kīhei Boat Ramp.
• Explore your aquatic nature and safely maximize your underwater potential
• Expand your capabilities as an apneist (weather it be comfort, breath-hold capacity, technique, or equalization) and safely push your limits by freediving to new depths
• Explore the amazing feeling of tranquility and peace derived from descending self-propelled into the abyss on only a single breath of oxygen
The course will cost $350 total for all 3 days; or $125 a day for single classes. For more information and to book your spot email [email protected] or call (808) 868-6474.