Maui Transportation UPDATE: 12 p.m. 8.24.18
The Hawaiʻi Department of Transportation is continuing to respond to damages caused by heavy rains on Hawaiʻi Island, storm impacts and fire response on Maui, the beginning of storm effect on Oʻahu and continues preparing on Kauaʻi.
In Maui County, updates are as follows:
- Power to Kahului Airport was restored Thursday evening. Five passengers sheltered in the terminal overnight at their request. All other passengers were accommodated on other flights or put up in hotels.
- Several airlines have canceled service to OGG today due to anticipated weather. All departing and arriving passengers are advised to check flight status with their airline before going to the airport.
- Kapalua Airport has been sheltering individuals displaced by the Kāʻanapali fires.
- Airport firefighters assisting with response to Lahaina fire.
- Makani Kai flights to Kalaupapa Airport on Molokai canceled.
- Kahului placed in “Zulu” at 11 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Harbors staff reporting winds and surge at harbor increasing.
- Honoapiʻilani Highway and Kahekili Highway in West Maui were closed due to the Lahaina and
- Kāʻanapali fires. Honoapiʻilani Highway was reopened Friday morning. Kahekili Highway in West Maui remains closed. Kahului crews are assisting with water tankers.
- Kahului crews cleared fallen trees and branches on Honoapiʻilani Highway, Kula Highway, Kekaulike Avenue and Crater Road.
- Due to power outages, signals were out along Haleakala Highway, Kula Highway and Honoapiʻilani Highway.