Keiki & ‘Ohana Invited to Catch & Release Fishing TournamentOctober 21, 2018, 8:30 AM HST · Updated October 22, 2:52 PM 0 Comments
Part of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Ridge to Reef Rendezvous, the popular Keiki & ʻOhana Catch & Release Fishing Tournament, will be held on Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, from 8 to 11 a.m.
There is no entry fee and great prizes will be offered to the winner. The event also includes a with free lunch, following the prize ceremony. Participants should meet at 8 a.m. at Kahekili Beach Park.
Tournament Rules are as follows:
• Mandatory 8 a.m. check-in for rules, overview, and supplies.
• 2 categories: 1) Papio category 2) Open category (all other fishes/no herbivores, since the location is within the Kahekili Herbivore Fisheries Management Area)
• Prizes for 1st to 3rd place in each category
• Fish must be caught in KHFMA boundaries from 8:15 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. (Boundaries will be explained at 8 a.m. meeting)
• When fish are caught, a photo must be taken with phone or camera with supplied ruler from tournament officials and released immediately.
• Photos will be submitted to tournament officials to qualify fish.
• In case of a tie, fish caught at earlier time will win,
• No photos will be accepted at tournament table after 10:45 a.m.
• Pole and reel only/ no spear diving or netting
• Each contestant allowed a maximum of 2 poles per entry:
* 1 dunking/baitcasting pole – barbless hooks only
* 1 spinning/whipping pole
• Dunking/baitcasting poles must use barbless fishing hooks (The tournament officials will provide barbless hooks at the 8 a.m. meeting)
• No swimming/paddling out lines. Lines must be casted from shore.
• Spinning/whipping lures, grubs, plugs, etc. do not have to be barbless.
• Camera phone or digital camera needed
• Must bring own fishing gear
For questions and more information, contact tournament organizer Adam Wong, Division of Aquatic Resources, at (808) 446-2522 or email [email protected].