HTA Report: Visitor Spending Drops Despite Rise in Arrivals

March 2, 2019, 9:59 AM HST · Updated March 2, 9:59 AM
0 Comments
×

Despite a rise in visitor arrivals, visitors on the island of Maui spent 14% less in January of this year compared to last year, according to a report from the Hawaiʻi Tourism Authority. Visitor spending for the state totalled $1.62 billion for the month, a 4% decrease from January of last year.

According to the HTA report, among the four larger islands, only Oʻahu recorded increases in both visitor spending and visitor arrivals in January versus a year ago. Both Hawaiʻi Island and Kauaʻi recorded declines in visitor spending and arrivals.

In January, visitors from US East spent more than from January of last year, while visitors from US West, Japan, Canada, and all other international markets spent less. Average daily visitor spending for the month dropped statewide from a year ago as well. Visitors from US East spent more per day while visitors from Japan, US West, Canada, and all other international markets spent less.

On the other hand, total visitor arrivals for the month grew 3% from a year ago. The total amount of days visitors spent in the islands increased as well. While arrivals through air service rose 3%, cruise ship arrivals dropped 6%.

SPONSORED VIDEO

Air service arrivals saw growth from Japan, US West, US East, and all other international markets, which offset a slight decrease from Canada. According to the HTA, the average daily census of total visitors in Hawaiʻi on any given day during the month was up 2% compared to January of last year.

The full report is available online.

ADVERTISEMENT

Print

Share this Article

BREAKING NEWS 
TEXT ALERTS
Sign up to receive important news alerts like tsunami warnings,
floods, traffic accidents, road closures and more.
Phone # (xxx-xxx-xxxx):
E-Mail:
 

    View Categories
    Promote Your Maui Business for Free Add Your Listing

    Weekly Newsletter

    ARTICLE COMMENTS ( 0 )
    This comments section is a public community forum for the purpose of free expression. Although Maui Now encourages respectful communication only, some content may be considered offensive. Please view at your own discretion.

    I Understand, Show Comments