Potential Maui Council Candidates Begin Pulling Nomination PapersFebruary 12, 2020, 12:53 PM HST · Updated February 12, 12:53 PM 0 Comments
Today, West Maui’s Councilmember Tamara Paltin, filed nomination papers to run for her second two year term on the Maui County Council. She is among a list of council candidates that have either pulled papers or filed for candidacy since the filing period opened on Feb. 3.
The list includes:
- Claire Kamalu Carroll, who pulled papers for the East Maui seat;
- Deb Kaiwi, pulled papers for the Kahului Council seat;
- Current Kahului Councilmember, Tasha Kama, pulled papers for re-election;
- Current Makawao-Haʻikū-Pāʻia Councilmember, Mike Molina, pulled papers for re-election;
- Current Upcountry Councilmember, Yuki Lei Sugimura, pulled papers for re-election;
- Alberta De Jetley pulled papers for Lānaʻi Council seat and filed last week Friday, Feb. 7; and
- Matthew Mano pulled papers for the Lānaʻi Council seat.
*Note: The above names are based on a candidate report that was last updated at 4:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 7, 2020.
In making the announcement, Paltin said, “There were many important matters that came before the Council, but I’m really glad that I helped secure Hanakaʻōʻō Beach Park as a community area free of commercial activities so our Lahaina people can recreate in the county area with their families.”
Paltin was elected to her freshman term in 2018, saying there was a “steep learning curve, made easier by the community engagement she had dedicated herself to throughout previous years.”
“I gained more invaluable knowledge of planning and land use as the Committee Chair for Planning and Sustainable Land Use, all of which has helped not only my committee, but the West Maui Community Plan Update process,” said Paltin in a press release announcement.
Some highlights of her first year include being able to recognize the Lahainaluna High School football teamʻs Division II championship via ceremonial resolution, deliberating on the approval of administrative directors, and advocating for county improvements through the budget process.
Candidate filing began on Feb. 3, 2020 and continues through June 2, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.