Maui Coronavirus Updates
Salvation Army Providing Food Baskets and Meals-To-Go
The Salvation Army Hawaiian & Pacific Islands today shared details of emergency food basket distribution and meals-to-go locations throughout Hawaiʻi and Guam in the battle against the COVID-19 outbreak. In addition, the agency re-affirmed their urgent request for monetary donations to support the food efforts and continued to request donations of hygiene products and PPE. Details are available at hawaii.salvationarmy.org.
“The number of clients we are serving with our emergency food boxes has jumped dramatically in the past two weeks,” said Major Thomas Stambaugh, Micronesia Coordinator and Guam Corps Officer for The Salvation Army. “What we used to see in a month, we are now seeing in a single day. The need is so great, we really need all the support we can get.”
In Hawaii, the various island corps for The Salvation Army are seeing similar, staggering increases in requests for food as more residents become unemployed due to economic impacts from the COVID-19 outbreak.
“Our Salvation Army officers, staff and volunteers are working to meet the needs of our communities even as our budgets are straining without the normal income from our programs and thrift stores that have been cancelled and closed due to COVID-19,” said Major Jeff Martin, Divisional Leader for The Salvation Army Hawaiian & Pacific Islands. “The Salvation Army is pleading for the public’s assistance with monetary donations during this very challenging time as we continue to expand our feeding services in light of ever-growing needs. Additionally, we are seeking personal protective equipment for those who are providing these food and meal services in our communities. Details are available at hawaii.salvationarmy.org.”
The Salvation Army Hawaiian & Pacific Islands Division is providing emergency food boxes, meals-to-go, and emotional and spiritual support at a variety of locations including:
STATE OF HAWAII [by county]
45 W Kamehameha St.
Kahului, HI 96732
• Food bag distribution on Wednesdays. Call 808-871-6270 for an appointment.
Lahaina Lighthouse Corps
131 Shaw Street
Lahaina, HI 96761
• Meals to go Mondays through Fridays. Breakfast from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m., Lunch from noon to 12:30 p.m. and Dinner from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
• Food boxes distributed Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 808-661-5335 for an appointment.
• Homeless outreach Mondays through Fridays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Showers, laundry and phone calls also offered Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. by appointment.
900 Kalae Hwy
Kaunakakai, HI 96748
• Food bag distribution Mondays through Fridays by appointment.
CITY & COUNTY OF HONOLULU/OAHU
68-243 Olohio Street
Waialua, HI 96791
• Drive-through meals-to-go service on Saturdays from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
45-175 Waikalua Road
Kaneʻohe, HI 96744
• Drive-through Food Pantry with pre-packed boxes of food on Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Delivery of food boxes on Thursdays to at risk/self-quarantined/those without transportation.
Kauluwela Mission Corps
296 N. Vineyard Blvd.
Honolulu, HI 96817
• Food Pantry distribution of pre-packed food bags on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Community food distribution/outreach on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Revolution Hawaii provides meals to go on Sundays from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Kroc Center Hawaiʻi
91-3257 Kualakai Pkwy.
ʻEwa Beach, HI 96706
• Food bag distribution to West Oahu – ongoing.
• Providing 3,000 meals-to-go per week for West Oahu via a hui of 17 local churches and Rep. Andria Tupola’s office.
• Providing transportation service for senior shopping for Silvercrest residents in Wahiawa
• Providing meals for seniors in Wahiawa on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Hilo Temple Corps
219 Ponowai Street
Hilo, HI 96720
• Food Pantry distributes food bags on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• In cooperation with Boys & Girls Club, providing meals to go on Mondays through Fridays at 5 p.m.
75-223 Kalani Street
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
• Food pantry bags distributed Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Meals to go provided Thursdays and Saturdays at 6 p.m.
• Emergency food bags also are available Mondays through Fridays by appointment.
45-511 Rickard Place
Honokaʻa, HI 96727
• Food bags distributed on Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon
4465 Puolo Road
Hanapēpē, HI 96716
• Food bag distribution on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Meals-to-go on Mondays from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Wednesdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to noon.
4182 Hardy Street
Līhuʻe, HI 96766
• Food bag distribution on Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Meals to go on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
155003 Corsair Ave
Barrigada, GU 96913
• Food bag distribution Mondays through Fridays between by appointment 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Providing canned food and bottled water on Mondays and Fridays for Guam’s Nurse Command Center, which is feeding approximately 120 front-line nurses treating and testing COVID-19 patients across Guam.
The Salvation Army announced in March that all Salvation Army officers had been appointed into emergency disaster service roles in the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, all Salvation Army facilities shifted to emergency response mode and are being made available to governmental authorities for use as quarantine centers, housing for medically fragile individuals, food distribution locations, coronavirus testing, and any other services as needed. Exact uses will be determined and finalized in the coming days and weeks.
Monetary donations to support the efforts can be made at hawaii.salvationarmy.org or by calling (808) 440-1800.
1$200 Surcharge Added to $35 Citation to Deter Illegal Parking on Hāna Highway 2Police Investigate Windsurfer Death at Kanahā Beach, Maui 3Death in Kīhei Currently Classified as Miscellaneous Accident 4Recreational Fishing Licenses to be Required for Visitors 5Multi-Level State Office Building Proposed for Construction on Grounds of Old Wailuku Post Office Site 6Letters: Too Many Tourists, Bad Visitor Experiences, Global Vaccination Effort & Spreading Happiness Program