Maui Traffic Signal Improvements on Friday, May 29 in Pā‘ia and Pukalani
Traffic signal improvements are planned at two Maui intersections–in Pāʻia and Pukalani–on Friday, May 29 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The improvements include the installation of Uninterruptible Power Supply and battery backup systems at the intersection of Hāna Highway and Baldwin Avenue in Pāʻia and the intersection of Kula Highway and Haleakalā Highway in Pukalani.
During the installation, Hawaiʻi Department of Transportation crews will deactivate the traffic signals and intermittently stop traffic through the intersection for five minutes at a time.
The traffic signal will go into flashing mode prior to the traffic stoppage. Motorists are asked to follow instructions from the work crews in the area and to drive with caution.
After installation the traffic signals will be returned to normal operations and the crew will move to the next location.
The Hāna Highway/Baldwin Avenue and Kula Highway/Haleakalā Highway traffic signals are the first of 12 signals that will be improved with the UPS and battery backups. The full list of Maui signals slated for improvements are:
- Baldwin Avenue and Hāna Highway
- Kula Highway and Haleakalā Highway
- Haleakalā Highway and Hāna Highway
- Piʻilani Highway and North Kīhei Road
- Keawe Street and Honoapiʻilani Highway
- Kai Hele Kū Street and Lahaina Bypass
- North Kīhei Road and Honoapivilani Highway
- Kuihelani Highway and Honoapiʻilani Highway
- Kahului Beach Road and Kaʻahumanu Avenue
- Kūihelani Hwy/Airport Road and Puʻunēnē Avenue
- Airport Road and Dairy Road
- Airport Road and Hāna Highway
DOT officials say the improvements are aimed at enhancing safety of traffic operations by ensuring the signals can run during power outages and will increase the life of high-priced signal light components while reducing operational costs.
Planned closures for the remainder of the intersections slated for improvements will be added to a weekly roadwork list here: https://hidot.hawaii.gov/