No tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi after 6.6 Fiji earthquake
There is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi after a preliminary 6.6 magnitude earthquake reported at 10:21 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2022, South of the Fiji Islands.
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reports that based on all available data, a destructive Pacific-wide tsunami is not expected, and there is no tsunami threat to Hawaiʻi from this quake.
The USGS reports the quake was located at a depth of 528.1 km in proximity to the following nearby cities:
- Haveluloto, Tongatapu, Tonga 340 miles ENE
- Nuku‘alofa, Tongatapu, Tonga 341.1 miles ENE
- ‘Ohonua, ʻEua, Tonga 347.8 miles ENE
- Suva, Central, Fiji 409 miles NNW
- Nadi, Western, Fiji 454.3 miles NNW