CIP Funding Released for Hawaii Island
By Wendy Osher
More than $3 million in CIP appropriations are being released for the Hamakua Ditch Watershed Project on Hawaii Island.
The funds are part of a larger funding release from Governor Abercrombie for projects in Waimea and Kau.
The largest appropriation of $16 million goes to Phase I of construction of the University of Hawaii at Hilo, Student Housing Development. There is also a $4 million appropriation for the construction and equipment for the UH Hilo Living Learning Community.
“I would like to thank the Governor for releasing the funding for these much needed projects,” said Senator Malama Solomon in a statement today.
“The projects will greatly impact and improve the lives of our residents who live in the area by providing work and accelerating our economic recovery,” said Sen. Solomon, who represents the area that includes Waimea, Hamakua, North Hilo, Hilo and Keaukaha.
Fellow Senator Gilbert Kahele, who represents Kau, Puna and Hilo agreed that the projects would help to create jobs and stimulate the island’s economy. “There are people who are under-employed and unemployed in the trades industry on Hawaii island, and these capital improvement projects will provide jobs that they so urgently need,” he said.
The following funds were included in the Governor’s funding release:
- $1.0 million, Waimea Hydropower Plant: install a hydropower plant in the Waimea Irrigation System
- $874,925, Surveillance of Water-Side Threats to Critical Infrastructure at Hilo, Kawaihae, Nawiliwili and Port Allen Harbors: design/build construction for surveillance systems
- $210,000, Hawaii Belt Road Drainage Improvements, Vicinity of Hakalau Bridge: drainage improvements
- $3.2 million, State Lower Hamakua Ditch Watershed Project: land acquisition, design and construction to repair the flumes, ditches, reservoirs, and tunnels
- $300,000, State Lower Hamakua Ditch Watershed Project: construction to repair the flumes, ditches, reservoirs, and tunnels
- $2.0 million, Waimea Transfer Ditch Improvements: construction and improvements
- $4.15 million, Paauilo Rendering Plant and Slaughterhouse: building renovation, infrastructure improvements and equipment replacement
- $113,000 Information and Communication Services Division – Anuenue Radio Sites and Towers: design and construction engineering of Waiakea radio facility
- $2.5 million, Keaau Middle School: additional construction, works of art and equipment of a new classroom building
- $500,000, Kau Irrigation System Improvements: plans and design for improvements, including renovation of the existing water tunnel system in the Kau area
- $284,000, Kau Hospital: installation of solar powered parking lot lights, replacement of hospital doors, renovation of entrance ramps and installation of a wireless repeater for advanced communications
- $4.0 million, University of Hawaii at Hilo Living Learning Community: construction and equipment
- $16.0 million University of Hawaii at Hilo, Student Housing Developments Phase 1: construction
- $550,000 The Arc of Hilo: construction of the gymnasium
***Supporting information courtesy Hawai’i State Senate Communications.